Adam Lipscombe wrote:

Folks,

We have a commercial product that uses mysql 4.0.24. We bought  a commercial
licence for this version.
We want to upgrade to 5.0.21.
I spoke with the MySQL saleswoman this morning and she says they don't do
upgrades and want another entire licence fee for v5.x.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Upgrading commercial licences?
What's the story?

Thanks - Adam

Hi Adam,

That is a very interesting development. Is your license under the MySQL Network? I am considering using this for a number of new servers and would have to rethink my strategy if this is the case.

I notice their Network FAQ has

Q: Does MySQL Network include MySQL 5.0?
A: Yes, MySQL Network includes all updates and upgrades including MySQL 5.0

It is also very interesting that the Network product automatically includes a GPL covered product rather than a commercial one by default. How many people actually check on that before purchase? Are they aware they have purchased a GPL product and are now obligated under that license to GPL their distributed products?

Regards

--

David Logan
South Australia