Peter,

I see... I was thinking 'db' might have been a system table name or something...

This works perfectly, thanks.

Ben

Peter Brawley wrote:
Ben Clewett wrote:
Unfortunately I get:

mysql> SELECT
-> c.table_schema,u.table_name,u.column_name,u.referenced_column_name
    -> FROM information_schema.table_constraints AS c
    -> INNER JOIN information_schema.key_column_usage AS u
    -> USING( constraint_schema, constraint_name )
    -> WHERE c.constraint_type = 'FOREIGN KEY'
    ->  AND u.referenced_table_schema='db'
    ->  AND u.referenced_table_name = 'table'
    -> ORDER BY c.table_schema,u.table_name;

Empty set (27.86 sec)
Indeed, you didn't substitute your 'db' and 'table' values.

PB

-----

mysql> SELECT version();
+-----------------+
| version()       |
+-----------------+
| 5.1.6-alpha-log |
+-----------------+

But thanks, I think I can work with this and get the information I want.

Regards,

Ben.

Peter Brawley wrote:
Ben,:
Dear MySQL,

Can you please tell me if there is a way of listing all child tables which have a foreign key reference to a parent?
Find children of db.table:

SELECT
 c.table_schema,u.table_name,u.column_name,u.referenced_column_name
FROM information_schema.table_constraints AS c
INNER JOIN information_schema.key_column_usage AS u
USING( constraint_schema, constraint_name )
WHERE c.constraint_type = 'FOREIGN KEY'
 AND u.referenced_table_schema='db'
 AND u.referenced_table_name = 'table'
ORDER BY c.table_schema,u.table_name;

PB

-----

Therefore I can find and delete a child row, then delete the parent without getting:

"a foreign key constraint fails"

Regards,

Ben Clewett