From: David Logan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 12 May 2006 11:52
To: Adam Lipscombe
Cc: 'MySQL List'
Subject: Re: MySQL commercial licence

Adam Lipscombe wrote:

>Folks,
>

>We have a commercial product that uses mysql 4.0.24. We bought  a
>commercial licence for this version. We want to upgrade to 5.0.21.
>
>I spoke with the MySQL saleswoman this morning and she says they don't
>do upgrades and want another entire licence fee for v5.x.
>

>Does anyone else have experience of this? Upgrading commercial
>licences? What's the story?
>

>Thanks - Adam

Hi Adam,

That is a very interesting development. Is your license under the MySQL
Network? I am considering using this for a number of new servers and
would have to rethink my strategy if this is the case.

I notice their Network FAQ has

Q: Does MySQL Network include MySQL 5.0?
A: Yes, MySQL Network includes all updates and upgrades including MySQL 5.0

It is also very interesting that the Network product automatically
includes a GPL covered product rather than a commercial one by default.
How many people actually check on that before purchase? Are they aware
they have purchased a GPL product and are now obligated under that
license to GPL their distributed products?

Regards

--

David Logan
South Australia