From: Steffan A. Cline [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 2:52 PM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Returning records in a circle

Well, basically it can be done to an extent in some kind of code.
Basically
I am drawing from a table 2 records at a time. I want to make sure that
all
records are pulled at least once. If at all possible not to have 2 from
the
same vendor.

So, in this case.

I have columns id, html, vendor

So I can add columns as needed. I tried adding a flag and after
returning to
the client the 2 records I'd mark it as flag = 1 then search like this
Select id, html from urls order by flag, id desc limit 3
Then after I have those I would then set the last of the 3 to flag = 1
so
that on the next search I get the 2 after. In theory it worked fine but
when
multiple people hit the page simultaneously I had flags in different
places
and not in order. Maybe just mark them as flag = 1 after returned and
then
on search if found is 0 then set all to flag = 0 so they can be seen
again?
This doesn't seem so bad but them I guess I'd use distinct? If I cant
use
distinct with other parameters...
ex: select id,html distinct(vendor) from urls where flag=0 limit 2;
Would it be like :
Select id,html from urls where flag = 0 group by distinct(vendor) limit
2

?

Thanks

Steffan

T E L  6 0 2 . 5 7 9 . 4 2 3 0 | F A X  6 0 2 . 9 7 1 . 1 6 9 4
Steffan A. Cline
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             Phoenix, Az
http://www.ExecuChoice.net                                  USA
AIM : SteffanC          ICQ : 57234309
The Executive's Choice in Lasso driven Internet Applications
                                  Lasso Partner Alliance Member

> From: Rhino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 14:20:10 -0400
> To: "Steffan A. Cline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
> Subject: Re: Returning records in a circle

For
> instance, a Java program could easily grab rows from a result set for
you
> two at a time, let you process them, then grab two more, etc. I expect
that
> it would similarly easy to do the same thing in Perl and PHP and C.
>
> In short, a program gives you a lot more ability to do what you want
to do
> with your database data. But some shops have very little programming
> expertise and prefer to do everything via SQL. If you work for one of
those
> shops, you might not be able to get your records two at a time with
SQL
> alone, unless you can write a script that takes advantage of the LIMIT
> clause.
>
> I don't pretend to know MySQL exhaustively so someone else may have
another
> suggestion for you but the only two approaches I can think of that
might
> meet your needs are to use the LIMIT clause or to write an
application.

> --
> Rhino
>

> --