Daevid,

> This is my first trigger I'm trying to write.
>
> I have two tables. 'stores' and 'zipcodes'.
>
> I want to automatically set the latitude and longitude of the store using
> it's zipcode lookup in the zipcode table.
>
> DELIMITER $$;
>
> DROP TRIGGER `store_coord`$$
>
> create trigger `store_coord` BEFORE INSERT on `stores`
> for each row BEGIN
>     UPDATE stores AS s, zipcodes AS z
> SET s.latitude = z.latitude,
>     s.longitude = z.longitude
> WHERE s.zip = z.zip AND s.id = NEW.id;
>   END;
> $$

First things first ...

Updating a row that doesn't exist yet (BEFORE INSERT trigger)
doesn't make sense :-)

Why not simply adjust it like this:
new.latitude := <your looked up latitude>
new.longitude := <your looked up longitude>

Given that it's a "before insert", modifying the NEW.<column> values,
these will be stored in the table.

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com