Lukasz Budnik wrote:
Hi Remo,

just a thought... Can you try OPTIMIZE TABLE... or REPAIR TABLE ...
[EXTENDED] first
then try those queries again HTH

I've just run those statements, results:

optimize | status   | OK
repair | status   | OK

but like 'Szczec%' still returns 1 row
(now I know that it should return at least 7 rows)

best regards
Lukasz Budnik

Well then can you try ... WHERE BINARY name like 'Szczec%';

Could it happen that you upgraded from 4.0.x directly to 5.0.x mysql.com says that is a bad thing and not to skip versions i.e. 3.x & 4.0.x must be upgraded first to 4.1.x and then to 5.0.x or... you're heading for trouble(s) esp. charset issues

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/upgrade.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/upgrade.html
As a general rule, we recommend that when you upgrade from one release series to another, you should go to the next series rather than skipping a series. For example, if you currently are running MySQL 4.0 and wish to upgrade to a newer series, upgrade to MySQL 4.1 rather than to 5.0 or 5.1.
You can always move the MySQL format files and data files between different versions on the same architecture as long as you stay within versions for the same release series of MySQL. If you change the character set when running MySQL, you must run myisamchk -r -q --set-collation=collation_name on all MyISAM tables. Otherwise, your indexes may not be ordered correctly, because changing the character set may also change the sort order.
HTH