On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 23:28 +0100, Marcus Bointon wrote:
> On the same OS X machine that's having prefpanel trouble with 5.0.22,
> I find that mysql is not loading the values set in /etc/my.cnf. The
> contents of the file is from another Mac that works just fine with
> it. The file is world-readable. Should it be somewhere else?

The location is correct. However mysqld looks for options in several
files. For instance, it traverses the datadir, for my.cnf and home
directory for .my.cnf. Then it merges defaults from all files read
and attempts to start the server. So, it might be that you have
another my.cnf, which is also processed.

Try checking the option, which are actually read by the server with
"mysqld --print-defaults".

Petr