MySQL 5.0.19 running in Apache 2 on Mac OS X 10.4.6

I've been dipping my newbie toe into the murky waters of full text searching, but not with a great deal of success. I have a complex search set up which searches nine tables (potentially a whole bunch more, but for the present purpose...), five of which might contain quite long lumps of text in TEXT fields (biographies, for instance), the other four with shorter stuff in VARCHAR(127) fields. All these fields have full text indices set up.

Searching for the word 'olympic', if I use the full text search - match (...) against (...) - I find six people. If I use the tried and trusted like '%...%' method I find seven - the original six plus one more. The only difference between this extra one and the others is that she only has the word 'olympics' in her data, whereas all the others have 'olympic' somewhere.

I thought full text searching would cater for this kind of thing, but it appears not?

After I first tried it I read the thread about running myisamchk after upgrading across versions. I've just gone from 3.23.x to this version, so I thought maybe that was the answer, but having done all that I find there's no change.

--
Cheers... Chris
Highway 57 Web Development -- http://highway57.co.uk/

Among the things money can't buy is what it used to.
   -- Max Kauffmann