Hi Ian,

I am trying to import a 3.2Gb sql dump file back into my sql server (4.1.12)
and im coming across the following error:

mysql: Out of memory (Needed 178723240 bytes)
mysql: Out of memory (Needed 178719144 bytes)

That error message comes from some single place trying to allocate 178MB at a single time. Do you have large BLOBs in your data?

This error message means that mysqld is beind denied memory by the OS, either because you are actually out of memory, or because your ulimit has been reached (more likely).

Check your ulimits for your system with ulimit -a, and adjust if necessary in the mysql.server or mysqld_safe script (those both run as root, so can adjust ulimits upwards).

Regards,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Cole