Hello all and thanks again for any responses.

I'm hoping this is something really basic I'm not seeing.  I have MySQL
5.0.22-log, and I'm having a weird time creating a basic stored procedure.  I
get this far:

mysql> CREATE PROCEDURE getRootId (IN company_id INT)
    -> BEGIN
    -> DECLARE variable1 INT;
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual
that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
near 'INT' at line 3

Now, as stated in the MySQL manual, I have my DECLARE statement as the first
line after the BEGIN clause.  Anything else I'm missing?

When you use the mysql client, you must redefine the statement delimiter
during definition of a stored routine (or trigger or event) that uses
compound statement syntax with multiple statements making up the body of
the routine.  See the example near the end of this section:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/create-procedure.html

Also: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/begin-end.html

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team