Hi,

Isn't the my-huge.cnf in the MySQL 5.0.22 distribution quite outdated?
It says "for systems with 512Mb RAM or more". Nowdays this is pretty
basic setup, and 'huge' is probably something in excess of 4Gb RAM.

I wonder if anyone has a recommendation for truly huge systems. For
example a dual CPU AMD opteron system with 4Gb (or 8Gb) RAM that is
fully devoted to serving the mysql daemon.

The config I have (see below) has been tuned to be optimal for creating
indexes on a large (100Gb+) single database table. It works fine
(although not satisfactory), but I worry that some parameters may have
an optimal value or range, and it does not make sense to increase them
like crazy.

Any opinions of the following : ?

[mysqld]
key_buffer_size=1024M