Hi,

I have the following table:

CREATE TABLE `z` (
  `hash` varchar(16) NOT NULL default '',
  `title` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
  `body` text NOT NULL,
  FULLTEXT KEY `title` (`title`,`body`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1

I have tried the following query:

select sql_calc_found_rows hash, title, substr(body, 1, 250) as preview,
match(title, body) against('deputat') as rank from z where match(title,
body) against('deputat' in boolean mode) order by rank desc limit 0,20;

The table has almost 200.000 records.
I am using MySQL 5.0.16-standard.

I want to search the records that contain a certain word (or more
complicated expressions), so I need using a boolean mode search.
However, I want to return only the first 20 records ordered by rank, so
that's why I
also need to use a common search (not in boolean mode) for getting that
rank.

I have set MySQL to also index the 3 chars words.

The problem is that this query takes more than 12 seconds, and for some
other one-word searches it takes almost 30 seconds, and this is very
much for a table with only less than 200.000 records.

Can I do something to increase the search speed?

I think that maybe if I will change some MySQL settings, the search might
work faster, but I don't know what I need to change.

Thank you.

Teddy