---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:39:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gaspar Bakos
To: Barry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: my-huge.cnf quite outdated

Hello, Barry,

RE:
> Guess we would answer to everyone on the list who wishes to optimize his
> cnf.

I don't guess, and don't even expect that you answer to everyone.

> "Oh, i have add super X RAMs with latencies of blah blah. Please i
> think my cnf is outdated can somone help me?" Or: "Oh, i have added a
> HD with 2times more rounds per/m can you update my cnf PLZ?"

These are not what I asked, they are pretty negative exaggarations.

> And "yes". You can tweak the shit out of the mysql.cnf files.
> You have to test yourself on "your" system.

This is what I am doing, and in the meantime, looking for experience,
and also sharing mine.

> And btw. the cnf files wrk with even bigger tables than you have.
> Not "optimal" but "okay".

How big?

> Every special server needs special handling. there is no "the one and
> only you have to do it this way" way....

OK, so why is there a my-{small,large,huge}.cnf ?
They are guidelines for typical systems and applications.
But they are quite outdated, as typical systems changed.

All in all: I was looking for _typical_ configs for 4GB+ machines and
100Gb+ tables.