Hi, Daniel,

RE:
> I've had a big time looking for configs over the net and manuals,
> ended search with this:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-parameters.html
[...]

Thanks for the links, I will check them again.
I read most of those that are available on the web.

> their way easily... They are not for typical systems, they are
> specially SAFE and minimally optimized configs so your server won't
> crash, but still use some of the resources of the machine. Keep in

I see.

To re-iterate the question, I think the missing info is

1. the useful domain of system parameters. For example,

        "read_buffer > 64M does not help at all because of other limitations.
        (the default is 8K if I recall correctly). "

2. the relation between the parameters, as they have a complicated
relation. It is usually quite meaningless to increase/decrease a sinle
parameter without changing others.

So later on I will probably ask or share experience on the reasonable
range on specific parameters.

> because I don't think anyone would give you a config set that may
> crash/overload/put in risk your server. Simply grab a set of features
> and play in a test database. There are some "stress tests" for mysql
> over the web...

Good idea to google for stress tests.

Cheers
Gaspar