On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 13:32 -0400, Jesse wrote:
> > Um, did anyone actually answer Jesse's question?
>
> The consensus seems to be that the correct way to pronounce it is My S-Q-L,
> Not My Sequel.  So, that's the way I'm going to pronounce it.  Actually,
> most of the people I say the name to have no idea what I'm talking about
> anyway.  I only rarely have vocal communication with someone who would even
> know what a database is, let alone what MySQL is.  So, I guess in the long
> run, it doesn't really matter, but just for those rare occassions when I'm
> talking with someone who knows what it is, I want to pronounce it right.
> Most of my technical conversations occur through e-mail or newsgroups like
> this one, in which I spell it MySQL, and the way it's pronounced doesn't
> matter. :-)

According to the manual
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/what-is.html):

"The official way to pronounce “MySQL” is “My Ess Que Ell” (not “my
sequel”), but we don't mind if you pronounce it as “my sequel” or in
some other localized way."
--
omni
Check out the Dallas Music Wiki http://digitaldarkness.com

The information contained in this e-mail, if any, is often incorrect and
probably plagiarized. It is intended solely for the amusement of the
addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, my bad. Any action
taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on the information in this
message is your problem. Please notify me immediately if you have
received it in error by reply e-mail and then delete this message from
your system and any files in it's vicinity.

I endeavour to ensure that my emails and any attachments are free from
viruses, content, value or other contaminants. However, I cannot accept
any responsibility might something worthwhile accidentally slip in. I
therefore recommend you do not read them at all just to be sure.

any attachments are completely chosen at random by the author and do not
necessarily represent anything coherent, relevant or useful.