Perhaps the searches that return "nothing" are actually matching more than 50% of the record in the table.
From the manual:
"In addition, words that are present in more than 50% of the rows are considered
common and do not match."

----- Original Message ----- From: "Taco Fleur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 12:21 AM
Subject: Full-Text problems

Hi all,

I am experiencing some issues with Full-Text and was hoping someone could
shed some light on the following.

I have some content which I know contains for example the word "news", the
table is MyISAM, the column type is LONGTEXT, there is an index on the
column of FULLTEXT.

I have adjusted the system variables so that the minimum word length is 2
(ft_min_word_len = 2) and the stop word file is set to (ft_stopword_file =
'')

Can anyone tell me why it is not picking up the word news plus some others?

I have verified that the system picked up the new variable settings with
SHOW VARIABLES

I have also deleted everything in that table and reinserted the content,
which I hope rebuilds the table?

Other words that do not appear are;
- dealer
- sign in
- contact

I have verified that it returns other results, i.e. when searching on words
like;
- headline
- engineering
- user
- her

The query is as below

SELECT    I.indexIdentity
     , I.webpageIdentity
     , I.content
     , I.indexDate
     , MATCH ( I.content ) AGAINST ( '#form.searchString#' ) AS score
     , W.universalResourceLocator
     , W.title
 FROM    tbl_index I
 INNER JOIN   tbl_webpage W
 ON     I.webpageIdentity = W.webpageIdentity
 WHERE    MATCH ( I.content ) AGAINST ( '#form.searchString#' )
 ORDER BY   score DESC;

The content is text I gathered from our webpages, I am basically trying to
create a site search.
Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Taco Fleur
Free Call 1800 032 982 or Mobile 0421 851 786
Pacific Fox  <http://www.pacificfox.com.au/> http://www.pacificfox.com.au an
industry leader with commercial IT experience since 1994 .

* Web Design and Development *
Accept online Credit Card payments www.commerceengine.com.au
<http://www.commerceengine.com.au/> *
SMS Solutions, including developer API
*
Domain Registration, .COM for as low as fifteen dollars a year,
.COM.AU for fifty dollars two years!