At 02:43 PM 6/22/2006, Bartis, Robert M (Bob) wrote:
If you will excuse my ignorance. I have no immediate need for this, but have often asked what the pros/cons there are writing a WEB based interface in PHP vs. say Perl. Do you have any insight into that?

Thanks
Bob

Something else I should have mentioned, there are products out there like CodeCharge from YesSoftware.com that will generate the PHP/ASP/JSP code for you. It uses templates and will interface with MySQL and several other databases. It develops great looking applications but tends to use a lot more code that what you'd use if you wrote it manually. But it will get you up and running quite fast. They have a 30 day eval that you can try.

There are also Ajax type development systems like Morfix (www.morfik.com) and Ruby On Rails http://www.rubyonrails.org/ and Lazslo on Rails http://wiki.openlaszlo.org/Laszlo_on_Rails that offers cutting edge development tools (that latter two are open source). These tools will deliver rich internet applications. Try some of the demos and see if you like it. :)

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: mos [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 3:39 PM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: New to the group

At 08:46 AM 6/22/2006, Nicholas Vettese wrote:
>Hello,
>   My name is Nick, and I am a new MySQL user.  My hope is not to become a
> PITA, so I will make sure that any question is straight and to the point
> with the information needed to answer the question.
>
>   My skill in MySQL is pretty low, and I am looking to build a website
> for myself that will take information and save it to a database.  At this
> time, I have a login, registration, change/lost password functionality
> working from a book that I read, but I am looking to expand my knowledge
> into more robust site.  I am not looking to become the master programmer,
> just someone with enough knowledge and skill to accomplish his goals.
>
>Thanks,
>Nick

Welcome Nick,
         You've come to the right place. There are a couple of books on
MySQL that are quite good and I'd like to recommend.

MySQL 3rd Edition by Paul Dubois and MySQL Cookbook by Paul Dubois  (I
think these guys are related<vbg>)

If you are using PHP to build your website I found
PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites : Visual QuickPro Guide (2nd Edition)
(Visual Quickpro Guide)
to be quite good and gets you going quite fast. There's not a lot of
reading to do and they have you writing PHP code the first day.

If you want a more thorough book on PHP & MySQL there is:

PHP and MySQL Web Development (3rd Edition) (Developer's Library) (Paperback)
by Luke Welling, Laura Thomson

There are also PHP/Mysql tutorials on the web but I don't know how good
they are. You'll get up to speed faster by getting some of these books.

Of course if you're not using PHP, then someone else can jump in with some
reading suggestions.

Mike