John Hicks wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
I and a friend have written SQL to big Oracle DB but not much to MySQL on our own computers. I find that there is a QUERY in the list for MySQL but it does nothing much. Also I was glancing through the mamouth MySQL reference manual and saw there are a bunch of tools that can be run outside of the interpreter and one has in it's title query. It seems this software will do a job like the Oracle QUERY. I have not verified this but hope to do so soon.

If anyone on this list has done serious QUERY with MySQL I would sure like to know how you did it.

Karl Larsen

SQL stands for 'Structured Query Language'. We are doing queries all day long.

Reading between your lines, I would guess that 'QUERY' is an Oracle utility? Since this is a MySQL list, you might explain to us what QUERY does in Oracle so we can tell you if there is a MySQL equivalent.

--J

Sorry, I was not thinking. In both MySQL and Oracle you do a Query using the SQL SELECT-FROM-WHERE-YES-NO and such and come up with the display of data your boss wants in the report. So your equiped to do a Query and you need to learn just which SELECT to use.

I need to learn how you send a Query result to a file where it can incorporated into a document. The charts I'm making need some help too but they will come as I learn to use MySQL.

Karl