Instead of "locking" the table, why not just change the privileges for the specific accounts so they have select only privileges? Then you still of write access through "admin" accounts if need be.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jehan PROCACCIA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 6:28 AM
Subject: howto set mysql to readonly

Hello

I need to move my databases from on server to an other.
As lots of data are in production I cannot just stop mysql for 1/2 an hour and
reopen it on the new server.
What I expect to do is while backuping and restoring to the new server, I wish to set the original server in "read only" mode so that nobody can write in the databases while transfering to the new one.
I've seen the LOCK table and flush commands, but I'am not sure if this is the
right method, and how to use them.
Lock table just locks tables as it's name implies and not a whole database ? is there a
kind of "lock all databases" ?

thanks.