2006/7/10, Joerg Bruehe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Hi Mike, all!

mos wrote:
> I have a complicated SQL statement with around a dozen
> "if(this,val1,val2)" embedded in it and there are even nested If
> clauses. I'm getting syntax errors because I'm not balancing the "( )"
> properly. Is there any free software out there for Windows that I can
> copy and paste the SQL statement into that will show me where the
> parenthesis are unbalanced? It doesn't have to know about SQL, I just to
> either highlight the parenthesis range or find out when the parenthesis
> become out of sync.

I cannot give a list of editors that will do it,
but I know that "vim" ("vi improved") does it.
It will also do syntax highlighting, but I do not know whether it knows
about SQL already or would need an additional SQL syntax description.

In vim, you can find matching parenthesis, with the "%" shorcut. Put
the cursor on one parenthesis, hit %, hop you jump to the
corresponding opening/closing parenthesis. (definitely a must-have for
certain language).

--
http://www.w-fenec.org/