At 12:36 AM 7/11/2006, you wrote:

I used to use UltraEdit, but then switched to EditPlus because it can edit
remote files almost transparently. (Opening a file FTP's it down, you edit
local copy, Saving FTP's it back.)

FYI - UltraEdit can do this - It uses SFTP over SSH to edit remote files.
Works like a charm.

-Hank
mysql, query

It's funny how an editor-switch comes about. My old version of UE, could not do this, and I really didn't care, except that the "editor question" reared its head again on the PHP list. Keep in mind this was probably close to four years ago.

The capability of EditPlus to edit remote files was promoted as one of the things it could do - at the time I was working on a project for a client for which there was no SSH access - so I downloaded it and began using it occasionally ... and the use became more and more frequent.

UE still lives on my machine, but it's no longer my "daily editor" but it is invaluable if I have to look at a binary file. Ian Meade has a fine editor there. Maybe I should download the latest version and give it a try. When I last checked, its FTPdown/Edit/FTPup cycle was not transparent, but that may have been v. 9 or v.10 - my copy is a pretty old v.7.

What I would really like would be EditPlus / UltraEdit simplicity and speed, with the capability to interactively provide function names and their parameters. Similar to VB or Zend Studio, BUT while working on the server. Yeah, an oxyMORONIC request. <g>

Cheers - Miles