On 7/10/06, Shain Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi ,

  I'm just behind a mulimedia database , that wanted to be online with WAP
contents. So , i decided to go ahead with mysql , and i installed mysql latest
5.0 in fedora core 5 with innoDB .upto now every thing success.
  But , my worries is , how can i created huge mulimedia database with mysql ?
  There are lots of subcatagories ,  in each and every main catagories ,
  for example ,
  Movie stars ---> actors ----- > hollywood--->abc--->ddd
                                             bollywood-->aaa---->sss
                         actress -----> hollywood---->aaa
                                             bollywood--->qqq
  like that , there should be alot of main catagories and sub catagotries. All
contents types are available , like wallpaper , greetings, ring tones ...,
movies clips .....etc.

  Those contents are supposed to stored as BLOB in mysql database itself.

I've found, over years and years of using DBs that storing info in
BLOB format is only for specific uses (scientific, binary, special
data). When dealing with this kind of stuff (pictures, sound, videos)
I've found that its more easy, fast and secure to store this info in
files and only index basic information (file path, name, size,
description, other info) with a database, this way you can easily
manage those files, while keeping them indexed for fast
search/retrieve in any language, its much more easy to insert them
into a web page or application too, because the database do not serve
the data, only the info about it. Anyway, its MHO.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil