It's my understanding that the biggest remaining difference has to do with SCSI having far superior command queueing capabilities -- although SATA's command queueing may have closed the gap somewhat -- which provides for much better real-world performance when you have multiple database threads doing work.

The bottom line is that (at least in the past -- who knows, perhaps the latest-n-greatest SATA gear has truly tipped the scales, although I doubt it) you will see better real-world performance with less fidgeting* from SCSI (or Fibre Channel, switched or otherwise) in terms of access times and throughput than you will from PATA or SATA.

* - For example: We faced a NASTY problem using AMD 64-bit CPUs + SATA + Linux where I/O on the system (the WHOLE system, not JUST the SATA spindles -- network, PATA, USB, EVERYTHING) would suddenly come to a grinding halt (or very nearly halted) randomly when the SATA subsystem was under heavy load. It required a LOT of trial-and-error kernel adjustments to find a configuration that did not suffer this problem.

As to whether it is PREFERRED, that comes down to your constraints. There are some problem domains where it's REALLY REALLY HARD to split database load across multiple servers. There are many problem domains where bad or overly-simplistic design patterns are common that make scaling to multiple machines hard. So sometimes you wind up in a nasty situation where your only option is to have REALLY fast spindles -- in which case, the 10x or 20x price premium for SCSI may be unavoidable.

Generally speaking, if you need ultra-fast spindles you should probably be re-evaluating your database architecture as you're asking for financial and technological pain.

-JF