On Jul 12, 2006, at 12:45 PM, Scott Tanner wrote:

I am hoping the newer SATA II drives will provide SCSI performance at a reasonable price. It would be interesting to see if anyone has polled ISP's to see what they're using. I know they charge more (or at least they used to) for SCSI drives if you are renting a server from them. It would be
interesting to see what their failure rate is on IDE vs SCSI vs SATA.

Mike

  By newer SATA II drivers, are you referring to SAS drives?

No, typically "SATA II" is meant to refer to SATA w/ NCQ + doubled max throughput.

  My company is in the process of switching to direct attached SAS
arrays for our database servers, as part of a scale-out model. We've
done testing between SATA, SCSI, and SAS arrays, and the SCSI and SAS
systems were very comparative. The number of disks in the array seemed
to have a larger effect then the type of disk. SAS also has more fiber
like features then SCSI, making it better suited for HA environments.

Yeah, that's sort of the conventional-wisdom for drive arrays: More spindles == faster. It's roughly analogous to adding CPUs versus getting faster CPUs with a workload that's easily parallelizable. More spindles means more heads. More heads means more simultaneous seeks, reads, and writes.

-JF