I've seen whitepapers from MySQL's web site, co-authored with Dell, that
recommend the hardware optimization be:

1. More Memory
2. Faster Drives (15K RPM is better the 10K)
3. Faster CPU.

Based on this, we're spec'ing 2950s with 16Gb, dual 2.8 dual-core Xeons, and
146Gb 15K (times 6) drives.

The plan is to RAID then 2 x RAID1 for the o/s (/boot, /, /var, and some
working space for dumps and restores), and 4 x RAID10 for /data.  Anyone
have any feedback on this?

Tim