Dan, I wouldn't bother with the intermediate steps (4.0, 4.1) .  Waste
of time (fine products, but you say you want to go to 5.0).  I'd go
direct to 5.0, using mysqldump'd data as Martin did.  If you're
all-MyISAM then it might also work to simply upgrade your binaries and
keep your data files, though you'll want to watch for the fix
permissions script and also be mindful of the password changes that
came about with 4.1.

Dan