Why can the Thai and Chinese not use regular sentences and word delimiter :)
So I have to stick to my LIKE thing, just to erase the FULL TEXT index I
assume.

-----Original Message-----
From: Neculai Macarie [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:50 PM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: FULL TEXT and Asian languages

Peter Lauri wrote:
> Best group member,
>
> I have a problem. I was going to use FULL TEXT search for my Thai
> client. It is working smooth with English text and wordings, the
> indexing and search works fine.

"The FULLTEXT parser determines where words start and end by looking for
certain delimiter characters; for example, ' ' (space), ',' (comma), and '.'
(period). If words are not separated by delimiters (as in, for example,
Chinese), the FULLTEXT parser cannot determine where a word begins or ends.
To be able to add words or other indexed terms in such languages to a
FULLTEXT index, you must preprocess them so that they are separated by some
arbitrary delimiter such as '"'."

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-search.html

--
<mack />