Paco Zarabozo A. wrote:
Hello All,

I'm trying to GRANT ALL to a user only on DBs that math a prefix, but i can't find the way to so it on the documentation. Let's assume the username is "john". I want him to have all privileges only on databases with the prefix john, so he can:

- create and drop databases starting ONLY with john (like john_sessions, john123, john_mytest, john_mail, etc)
- have any kind of privileges on such databases

According to the documentation, i can use % and _ as wildcards. However, mysql gives my an error if i try to use % wildcard. Only _ wildcard is accepted, but the following example:

GRANT ALL ON JOHN_.* to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';

..only allows user john to create databases starting with john, followed by ONE single character. Using this, i can give 32 different grants in order to allow up to 32 characters after 'john', but i'm sure that's not the way.

If i try the wildcard %, i get an error. I've tried the following:

GRANT ALL ON JOHN%.* to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';
GRANT ALL ON 'JOHN%'.* to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';
GRANT ALL ON "JOHN%".* to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';
GRANT ALL ON 'JOHN%'.'*' to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';
GRANT ALL ON JOHN*.* to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';
GRANT ALL ON 'JOHN*'.* to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';

..and almost all similar ways. Am i missing something? I temporarily fixed the problem by directly editing mysql.db to change the wildcard _ for % in the respective record, and it works fine. However, i really want to know the right way to do it. I hope someone there gives me the answer.

Thanks a lot, have fun.

Francisco

If you look closely, the answer is in the example at the end of the paragraph you cite from the manual: "GRANT ... ON `foo\_bar`.* TO ..." You need to quote with backticks, the one thing you didn't try. Hence,

  GRANT ALL ON `JOHN%`.* to 'JOHN'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo';

should work.

And yes, I would agree that's poorly documented.

Michael