On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 15:54 -0400, Ed Pauley II wrote:
> I am looking into a scale-out solution for MySQL. I have read white
> papers and searched the web but I can't find a load balancer that claims
> to work well for MySQL.  MySQL's white paper shows NetScaler in the
> scale-out stack but nothing on Citrix.com mentions MySQL. I also read
> that friendster wrote a custom script for NetScaler to work in a MySQL
> environment. I would rather not have to do that. Is there an out-of-box
> solution for load balancing MySQL. My understanding is that MySQL is a
> little more complicated than HTTP load balancing, which we already do
> with Coyote Point Equalizers. I have thought about LVS. Has anyone had
> any experience with load balancing MySQL? Any recommendations? Thanks in
> advance.

As some people mentioned there is "Continuent" solution, this is what
was Emic networks previously.

If you're building solution on your own such as master and number of
slaves there are plenty of things to think, regarding load balancing,
for example if replication breaks for any reason of falls behind on one
of the slaves you might want to kick it up.

For very basic setup you even can use DNS for load balancing, which does
not solve many of the problems describe.

The same kind of simple load balancing is build in MySQL JDBC Driver.

In general everyone seems to implement something on their own, working
well for their application.

--
Peter Zaitsev,  MySQL Performance Expert
MySQL Performance Blog - http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com