A good point to make here is that averages are generally a poor
calculation to use when planning for load, since your systems have to
handle the peaks as well as the average.  I know this, fought a number
of fights over it at my last job - don't know why I just quoted you
averages!

If 99% of your 1000 hits occur between 7:59 AM and 8:01 AM (some sort
of workday login validaton system perhaps ) then obviously you need to
handle as many as 500 a minute or more.  So it may vary from average
quite a bit based on your peak times - that will be good information
to research as part of your planning process.

Dan