David Lazo wrote:
We want to get:

Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard x64 Edition
2- Dual Core Intel Xeon 5080, 2x2MB Cache, 3.73GHz, 1066MHz FSB
8GB 533MHz (8x1GB), Dual Ranked DIMMs
3- 146GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Hard Drives

What would be the recommended RAID configuration settings for a dedicated
MySQL db running on this system?
Also, what is the general advice for separating MySQL and the MySQL/Data on
different disks?

I'm sorry if this sort of question has already been answered.

Any help would be appreciated.

David.

We built one pretty close to this recently. You definitely want to go with raid10, make sure the controller is hardware and not software raid (uses the CPU for everything, opposed to having a dedicated on board CPU)

The more spindles the better, in order to use RAID10 you need an even set of disks, min 4. Raid10 gives you the best performance while keeping data redundancy. I would set it up like this:
Raid1 -- OS (you could use slower/smaller drives here)
Raid10 -- all of the mysql data -- as many spindles as you can afford. If you have to swap out 73GB drives for for the 146's to get more spindles, I would do that (that would increase cost a bit, but the disk sub system here would be the bottle neck, so you want to have it as fast as you can get it -- and still be affordable)

This all depends on what your data environment looks like as well.

--
Thanks,
James