I second what James recommends re: spindles and RAID 10.  Better than
RAID 5 for live data in my opinion; RAID 5 is decent for archival
storage.

You've got a pretty decent setup there otherwise - 4 CPU cores, 8 GB
RAM - and you want to make sure your disks can keep things fed.

As far as splitting things up: a general recommendation is to put
logging (replication logging that is, not the error log necessarily)
onto its own partition, ideally its own disks.  Also consider putting
MySQL's temp space on its own partition, ideally its own disks.  Of
course suddenly you're looking at a lot of disks if you really go
whole-hog...

The optimization section in the online manual is pretty decent, though
some of the numbers are a bit dated (I saw one note this morning that
said "if you have at least 256 MB RAM"...)  Also Jeremy Zawodny's book
"High Performance MySQL" is a good read, both in terms of optimizing
your SQL/data strcuture and in choosing abnd setting up your hardware.

(Third time today I've plugged that book - I don't own stock or
anything, really)

Dan

On 8/22/06, JamesDR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
David Lazo wrote:
> We want to get:
>
> Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard x64 Edition
> 2- Dual Core Intel Xeon 5080, 2x2MB Cache, 3.73GHz, 1066MHz FSB
> 8GB 533MHz (8x1GB), Dual Ranked DIMMs
> 3- 146GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Hard Drives
>
> What would be the recommended RAID configuration settings for a dedicated
> MySQL db running on this system?
> Also, what is the general advice for separating MySQL and the MySQL/Data on
> different disks?
>
> I'm sorry if this sort of question has already been answered.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> David.

We built one pretty close to this recently. You definitely want to go
with raid10, make sure the controller is hardware and not software raid
(uses the CPU for everything, opposed to having a dedicated on board CPU)

The more spindles the better, in order to use RAID10 you need an even
set of disks, min 4. Raid10 gives you the best performance while keeping
data redundancy. I would set it up like this:
Raid1 -- OS (you could use slower/smaller drives here)
Raid10 -- all of the mysql data -- as many spindles as you can afford.
If you have to swap out 73GB drives for for the 146's to get more
spindles, I would do that (that would increase cost a bit, but the disk
sub system here would be the bottle neck, so you want to have it as fast
as you can get it -- and still be affordable)

This all depends on what your data environment looks like as well.

--
Thanks,
James