matt_lists wrote:
chris smith wrote:
On 8/23/06, matt_lists <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
We did not see this on 5.0.19, with 5.0.24 our backup jobs lock the
tables for selects

the backup takes 3 hours, so the site is down the whole time

I'm using this backup line

mysqldump -d -f --quote-names --skip-add-locks database > outfile
mysqldump -t -f --skip-add-locks database > outfile

when I kill the dump, I see it trying to issue an unlock tables sql and
erroring due to the connection being killed

is this not the proper way to keep it from locking any table?  All we do
is selects, there are no inserts/replaces/updates going on, during a backup

The whole table has to be locked so you get a consistent state for the table.

Not sure why you're only seeing this after your upgrade though.

My understanding was it was a read lock, so concurrent selects would still work

Do you have any stored procedures? I wonder if any bugs were fixed regarding those.

I could

select my_procedure();

and it does an update of a table's view count or something (think forum post views type scenario).