Chris Knipe wrote:

Hi,

I need to make *allot* of queries from a application dealing with IP Addresses. At the moment, I'm storing IP addresses as a VARCHAR(16). I would *like* to store them as Integers by converting the IP to it's numerical equivalent. I believe this would also save a enormous amount of table space.

The problem is, I *must* do the conversion as part of my SQL Query. Either during the SELECT/UPDATE/INSERT, or via a Procedure... And I must obviously also be able to convert the Integer back into a IP address during queries....

Is this at all possible???
mytable

MySQL has dotted IP string to integer (and vice versa) conversion functions. You'd use them in queries like:

insert into  mytable set IPaddress = funcName('192.168.191.34');
select funcName(IPaddress) as strIPaddress, IPaddress as intIPaddress from mytable;

I suspect you posted to the list before attempting to the functions in the online documentation so I'll simply confirm they exist and leave you to: Do Your Own Research by Reading The Fine Manual.

Nigel Wood