To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 9:03 PM
Subject: IP Address Function?

Hi,

I need to make *allot* of queries from a application dealing with IP Addresses. At the moment, I'm storing IP addresses as a VARCHAR(16). I would *like* to store them as Integers by converting the IP to it's numerical equivalent. I believe this would also save a enormous amount of table space.

The problem is, I *must* do the conversion as part of my SQL Query. Either during the SELECT/UPDATE/INSERT, or via a Procedure... And I must obviously also be able to convert the Integer back into a IP address during queries....

Is this at all possible???

It's all explained very nicely at http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/IP2Integer.jsp But how to do this as part of a query... *frown*

Any help appreciated...

Regards,