I wrote a fairly large query that summarizes our sales into monthly
totals by business unit, then left joins on some other information from
a bunch of other tables.

Running the query takes a long time.

I'm considering whether to store my summary data as a table, like this:

create table monthly_totals as
(
/* enormous SQL goes here */
)

If I do that, then I must keep the summary data synchronized with the
underlying data, as the underlying data gets updated once a day, every
day.

Can a stored procedure delete and then rebuild the summary table?  If
so, then I may write stored procedures that would build these summary
reports and when we load new data, we rerun the stored procedures to
build the summaries.

I suspect this is a universal problem.  All general advice would be
appreciated.  Perhaps a stored procedure is not the way to go.

--
A better way of running series of SAS programs:
http://overlook.homelinux.net/wilsonwiki/SasAndMakefiles