Matthew Wilson writes:

[...]

>I suspect this is a universal problem.  All general advice would be
>appreciated.  Perhaps a stored procedure is not the way to go.

Mysql 5.1 has CREATE EVENT, that somewhat mimics Oracle's jobs.

I prefer to run a shell script in a cron job, like this:

#!/bin/bash

mysql -NB -h... -u... -p... <<EOSQL
drop table if exists foo_new;

create table foo_new as select...;

drop table if exists foo;

alter table foo_new rename to foo;

EOSQL

If it fails, then at least there will be something to work with. Not
having the latest data is sometimes better than not having any data at all ;)

--
To sto si frustriran, zavidan tko zna na cemu i sto ne vidis dalje od
svoje guzice je tuzno. Da onda barem imas toliko samokontrole da