From: Douglas Sims [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 10:39 AM
To: Prasad Ramisetti (WT01 - Broadband Networks)
Cc: MySQL List
Subject: Re: problem with InnoDB

Hi Prasad

A primary key automatically creates an index and not-null and unique
constraints, too.  So you don't need to explicitly create an index on a
primary key column.

If your queries are going to have WHERE clauses (as they most likely
are) I'm not sure how the small-index suggestion would make the query
any faster - the WHERE clause would preclude the use of that index in
computing the rows - but I'm probably missing something here.

When you say that you need to know the number of rows returned before
executing the query, do you mean before you start getting rows back or
before you actually execute the query?  I don't think it's possible to
know how many rows the query will return without actually executing it,
but you might well want to know how many rows you get before you start
processing rows.

Have you looked at the SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS option on SELECT, and the
accompanying FOUND_ROWS() function? http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/
5.0/en/information-functions.html
  It will tell you the total number of rows which would have been found
if you hadn't used a LIMIT clause.  I think it is a connection- specific
function; if you created a second statement handle and did a SELECT
FOUND_ROWS() on the same connection, perhaps that would give what you
want.

Douglas Sims
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Sep 6, 2006, at 11:29 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks for yur response. Does it makes sense to create an index on a
> primary key ..as that is my smallest field ?
>
> Regards
> Prasad

contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the
any attachments.

check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company
email.

www.wipro.com