Hi David

Sybase and MS-SQL have a built-in stored procedure called xp_cmdshell which lets you execute shell commands from within a stored procedure or otherwise within the database process.

MySQL doesn't (I'm fairly sure) provide anything like that (although I think someone had written a UDF in C that might do that). I don't think that's really a problem with MySQL, on the contrary it's a good thing because xp_cmdshell is potentially a big security issue, as any shell program would be running as the same user who's running the MySQL server.

It will probably work better if you put the triggering code in the part of your application (like the PHP page, whatever) that changes the data you want to be notified about, instead of in the database itself.

Douglas Sims
[EMAIL PROTECTED]