Peter Bradley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed MySQL 5.0.24a-standard on my AMD 64, SuSE 10.0 box, using
> the binary distribution from the MySQL downloads site.  I've also
> installed the GUI tools from the same location, using the SuSE 10.x rpm
> packages.  The intention is to use MySQL with PHP5 and Apache.  Both
> these latter have been installed from the SuSE rpm files supplied on DVD
> with SuSE 10.0.  I have a couple of problems.
>
> Firstly, PHP seems to want the mysql.sock file to be in
> /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock - at least this is the location given by
> phpinfo() - instead of /tmp/mysql.sock.  This location appears to be
> contained in an environment variable called MYSQL_SOCKET, but I can't
> find where it is set.  One solution would be to get MySQL to put the
> mysql.sock file in the place expected by PHP.  Is this possible?
>
> At the moment, I have a /etc/my.cnf file with the following content:
>
> [mysqld]
> socket=/tmp/mysql.sock
>
> [client]
> socket=/tmp/mysql.sock
>
> I added these entries in an attempt to get PHP to use the actual
> location that MySQL is using, but this doesn't appear to have had any
> effect (according to phpinfo()).
>
> Secondly, MySQL appears to be trying to write logs to /var/log/mysql
> (according to MySQL Administrator).  This location does not exist.  I'm
> getting no error messages, but presumably this means I'm not getting any
> logs either.  Should I create this location and if so, what permissions
> and ownership should I give to the directory?
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> Peter
I just check my install of mysql (version mysql-4.1.13-3.8 on SUSE 10.0) and
the socket is in /var/lib/mysql and the mysqld log is in /var/lib/mysql.
This is the mysql version that came with my 10.0 DVD. Did you use YAST to
install? I don't know if these locations changed with the later version of
mysql.

>From phpinfo:
        MYSQL_SOCKET   /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
        MYSQLI_SOCKET   /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

        mysql.default_socket  no value  no value

        Are your sockets enabled:
                                sockets
        Sockets Support   enabled

Sorry I cannot help anymore.