Russbucket wrote:
I just check my install of mysql (version mysql-4.1.13-3.8 on SUSE 10.0) and
the socket is in /var/lib/mysql and the mysqld log is in /var/lib/mysql.
This is the mysql version that came with my 10.0 DVD. Did you use YAST to
install? I don't know if these locations changed with the later version of
mysql.
Thanks a lot for that, Russ. The difference between our two setups is that you've done the SuSE 10.0 YaST install of mysql 4.1. I needed to upgrade from that to MySQL 5.0, because I wanted to use stored procedures. The result is that I had to do a binary install from files supplied by MySQL on their site. It was either that or upgrade to SuSE 10.1.

However, I think I've sorted it by altering my /etc/my.cnf file. Time will tell :)
Sorry I cannot help anymore.
Thanks for trying.  It's appreciated.

Peter