There must be some thing went wrong with your settings in my.cnf file.For an 3 million records 24 hrs is bad :(

> |myisam_sort_buffer_size value in my.cnf ?

Also you can apporx check the status by doing file size check on the table in database dir and the temoprory table created in the data base dir .

--
Praj

|Helen M Hudson wrote:
let you know shortly or I have a table with about 3million rows and I'm having trouble altering it to add 4 more columns. I'm using the MySQL Administrator and I've left it more than 24hours and its still not finished. I was going to try using a login to the console next, but is there a better way? Any advice much appreciated!
Helen