I have a 17,000,000 record table that I'm trying to duplicate in order to make some changes and improvements, then I'll rename it and drop the original table. So I need this duplicate to be a live table in the same database as the original.

I tried the "copy table" function in the Operations section of phpMyAdmin, but this takes too long and ends up hanging the whole db and I have to restart mysqld. (It's live right now, so I can't let this happen.)

Someone suggested mysqlhotcopy, but this does not appear to be able to create a duplicate table live in the same database. If I'm wrong about this, could someone give me an example of what the syntax would be? Also, since it locks the original table during the process, I'm concerned that it will hang up my site for the duration of the operation.

Any other ideas?