Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 13:22:37 -0400
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
From: Michael Gargiullo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Partition Help

<snip/>

Daily partitions are created then sub partitioned across 6 data disks
and 6 index disks.

We attempted to build a new table per hour, and merge them after 3
hours. We killed the processes after 2 hours. 1 hour of data is approx
18GB. The server only has 12GB of RAM.

I wish we could partition down to TO_HOUR instead of TO_DAY

There's some discussion of this issue on the Partitioning Forum - http://forums.mysql.com/list.php?106 - and you're more likely to get topic-specific attention there from users and MySQL developers working with partitioning than you are here on the General list.

Also, have you checked out the recent articles on partitioning available from our DevZone? These include:

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql_5.1_partitioning_with_dates.html

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql_5.1_partitions.html

- both of which discuss date-based partitioning techniques that you might find useful.

cheers

jon.

--

Jon Stephens - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Writer - MySQL Documentation Team