I have similar problem with with a small query:

select firma from partneri where firma like '%\%%';

It's work fine in mysql client , but on page it works without error , but
also without where ... like .. too:)) Is there any chances that this is
problem of language we use in our web apps?  I am using Apache 1.3.19 ,
MySQL 3.23.37, mod_dtcl 0.10.0  and mysqltcl-1.53 libs for accessing MySQL
from TCL.
                        Any hint
                                        Ilic Aleksandar