Bert --

Your problem is not the same as Shakeel's.  For you, the database is
saying that it couldn't allocate memory.  For Shakeel, it is saying that
an assert failed.  At about line 213, there is a right shift (X >> Y)
that is occuring.  The behavior of a right shift is different depending
on whether the value being shifted is signed or unsigned.  The value is
supposed to be unsigned, but the programmers forgot to tell the
compiler.  This effectively means that mysql cannot allocate more than
2GB of ram.

"
        block = buf_pool_get_nth_block(buf_pool, (ptr - frame_zero)
                                                >> UNIV_PAGE_SIZE_SHIFT);
        ut_a(block >= buf_pool->blocks);
"

Chuck