Kerry,
It gives me a solution and some reading.
No probs, here's some actual code that I hacked together on a 4.1-sommat-or-other database, an important thing to note is to be careful of any Unique keys selected from the three individual tables as they may no longer be unique of course once you've union them using the ALL method.

CREATE TABLE Merged_names
(
  `ID` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `Static_field` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
  `Parent_table` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
  `First_name` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
  `Last_name` varchar(30) NOT NULL default '',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`ID`)
) ENGINE=MEMORY
SELECT Static_field, Parent_table, First_name, Last_name FROM
(
  (
     SELECT
ID, "Static Text" AS Static_field, "staff1" AS Parent_table, First_name, Last_name
     FROM
        staff1
     LIMIT 10, 5
  )
  UNION ALL
  (
     SELECT
ID, "Static Text" AS Static_field, "staff2" AS Parent_table, First_name, Last_name
     FROM
        staff2
     LIMIT 20, 5
  )
  UNION ALL
  (
     SELECT
ID, "Static Text" AS Static_field, "staff3" AS Parent_table, First_name, Last_name
     FROM
        staff3
     LIMIT 30, 5
  )