From: Dan Buettner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Ted Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Sent: Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:59:31 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Readind a Dump W/o Expanding It

That's a little trickier, but definitely possible.  I can think of 3
ways to do it, I'm sure there are others.

Approach #1, works if your dumpfile is a manageable size:
- make a copy and work from the copy
- open the copy in a text editor, and find the line where your
database starts.  Delete everything above it.
- locate the line where the next database starts, and delete
everything below it.
- save
- pipe your altered file back into MySQL.  You may need to CREATE
DATABASE first.

Approach #2, works if your dumpfile is not a manageable size
- make a copy and work from the copy
- using something like perl, open the copy and read line by line until
you encounter where your database starts.  Then continue reading but
also writing out to a new file until you encounter the next line where
a database starts.  Close files and exit the script at that point.
- pipe your output file back into MySQL.  You may need to CREATE DATABASE first.

Approach #3, works if you have a 2nd mysql server at your disposal
- pipe full dumpfile into a MySQL installation
- use mysqldump to dump just the database in question
- pipe that dumpfile into your original server

HTH,
Dan