Firewall issues continue.
Once again if anyone had similar problem please help.

We did various tests and found out the following:
LIMIT 10 , 100, 1000 works fine. On 2000 it breaks. I checked queries of different type against the same table and different tables. It works the same with intermittent errors even on such simple commands as 'show tables' (see below).

show tables;
ERROR 2006 (HY000): MySQL server has gone away
No connection. Trying to reconnect...
Connection id:    30

or

ERROR 2013 (HY000): Lost connection to MySQL server during query

There is absolutely nothing in the log or error log except last query run.

The actual size of queries that break is not that big - 3000 records. It all works fine when the client is outside the firewall. Also it does not matter if the database is on AIX or OS X. We see same behavior on both.

We do see bad checksums on TCP dump and (as confirmed by Cisco) their firewall sees all the interfaces coming into it as VLAN's , and thus does VLAN tagging. VLAN tagging reduces the MTU size by about 20 to 30. That is the only difference we can determine so far.

Thanks,
Peter