Am 16.10.2006 um 14:10 schrieb Anders Karlsson:

Come to think of it, might it be that you are using an old mysql client, possibly one that exists as part of an old installation of MySQL or in the case of Linux, one that was installed as part of the Linux distro installation? Some of these older versions of MySQL Client does not support the more secure password encryption methods used by newer MySQL versions, and you will get just the errors that you are getting. So if you are using Linux, do a "which mysql" and see what mysql client you are using. Also do a "mysql --version" which will show the command line client version. You have to watch for this if the client has version 4.0 or earlier, and you have server with version 4.1 or higher, then this is surely the problem you are experiencing.
Read more here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/password-hashing.html

Best regards
Anders Karlsson

Thank you Anders.

A 'which mysql' in command line gives the following: /usr/local/mysql/ bin/mysql A 'mysql --version' in command line says: mysql Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.21, for apple-darwin7.9.0 (powerpc) using readline 4.3

I am using the Version 4.1.21 Standard for Mac OS X (PPC)

I have already 'solved' the problem. I have reinstalled the whole system. It takes me less than 2 hours reinstalling everything. As I am always making backups of all my preference files, it was pretty easy. Easier than finding out, what the hell was going wrong with my password (at least for me). Unfortunately, right now I do not have so much time so I was forced to do so. Thanks to all who tried to help me with this.

For now I did not set up a password for my root account. After my bad experience with that, I prefer to leave everything as it is.

Anyhow, if somebody has a glue of what was or could have been the problem, I am interested to know what it was. What really annoys me, is that I have not found what it was.

Best regards,
Cornelia

Cornelia Menzel

Spanien / EspaƱa / Spain